“Building worlds” through communication can be interesting but also a problem. In chapter 2 we learned about the social constructionist model and what it means. According to the book, social constructionist model is when communication is thought of as “a process whereby people in groups, using the tools provided by their culture, create collective representations of reality” (pg. 28). What I understood from this was that each culture creates its own language and behaviors that only members of that culture would understand.
I find that to be interesting and that it could be a success to members of different cultures because it provides common ground for members to all relate. It would mean that they could bond with each other not because they come from the same culture but because they have common language and behaviors. Although it could be a success, I think it could also be a hindrance. I think it would a big hindrance because members of other cultures who interact through intercultural communication could possibly feel left out. They would feel left out because one culture would have their own world that no one else would understand but them. I think that would be completely unfair since we are now living in such a diverse world.
No comments:
Post a Comment