Hello Class,
One concept discussed in Chapter 5 that I found useful was
emblems. Emblems can be described as “kinesic behaviors whose direct verbal
translations are known to all of the members of a social group.” Often times
when we are speaking to others we use emblems without really noticing. For
instance, as I was reading this chapter and this certain section I noticed that
phrases that I use in my everyday vocabulary are considered emblems and I just
say them without really thinking. One phrase that I say often and is considered
an emblem is, “Calm down” while moving my hands in a downward motion. I tend to
use this emblem to tell another person I am talking to relax and ultimately
calm down their attitude.
Although, what really caught my attention when reading about
emblems is that some can be offensive in other cultures yet I would have no way
of knowing because I am not a part of that culture. For example, the book
stated that the A-OK sign could be translated in some cultures as money or even
an obscene gesture to symbolize a female private part. I guess we really need
to pay attention to different emblems and how we use them so we won’t offend
anyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment