Hi class,
In this weeks reading for chapter 6 we read about
dysfunctional patterns that often shape our interpersonal relationships. What
is meant by that is within these relationships “individuals create specific
patterns of interaction”. It happens so often that we don’t even realize when
we create these patterns. Part of these dysfunctional patterns was rigid role
relations. Rigid role relations often have to do with power within the
relationship. For example, the one rigid role relation I found to probably be
the most difficult to change is competitive symmetry. Competitive symmetry is
when “both members fight for the one-up position”. I think that would be
extremely difficult to change in a relationship because it would be a constant
power struggle that would never end until eventually someone gave in. Due to
the constant power struggle I think competitive symmetry would also be the most
damaging to a relationship. Although competitive symmetry can help partners
push each other to be better in life, it can most likely hurt the relationship
because it would cause too much friction and competition between the two. When
it comes to which one would be potentially damaging to one’s self esteems level
would be rigid complementarity. In this role one will either play the dominant
role or the submissive role. Due to this the one who plays the submissive role
might begin to think they are not good enough to hold some type of power in the
relationship, which then will cause their self esteem levels to go down.
I agree with you in this post 100 percent. I agree that the competitive symmetry would be the most difficult to change and also the most damaging to a relationship. The two partners in a relationship, if they are both fighting to be dominant, they won't stop until they have that role. That could be very damaging to a relationship because they will consistantly be fighting and bumping heads leaving no time for love and intimancy. They will ventually drift apart. Also, yes I believe that the rigid complementarity could be the most damaging to ones self esteem. Being the person on a submissive role could make the person feel weak and not good enough.
ReplyDelete