Sunday, July 29, 2012

Performance Research


One concept that I found interesting in chapter 13 was performance research. According to the book performance research is when “communication scholars focus on a wide range of performances” (pg. 371). What I understood from this was that someone goes to study a certain act and they actually perform this act themselves. When one actually does the performance in part of their research they can come to a better understanding of why and exactly how this act is done. The steps for performance research were pretty easy to understand and self-explanatory. Performance research consists five steps. Those five steps are: selecting, playing, testing, choosing, and repeating. Selecting is when one identifies “a communication act or text for study” (pg. 371). Playing is when the researcher chooses different ways in which they can interpret their work. Testing is when “the researcher tests interpretation against the evidence contained in the text”(pg. 371). The fourth step of choosing is when the researcher chooses the way in which they’re going to perform the action. Lastly, repeating is the step in which the researcher “repeats and rehearses the piece until it flows naturally, learning more in each iteration” (pg. 371). 

2 comments:

  1. Hey !
    Your post was interesting to me since at work, we just recently went through mid-year performance reviews. As HR, we not only evaluate ourselves and our department, but the entire company as well. By facilitating manager reviews, we give necessary feedback to both managers and employees. The performance research which you spoke of in your post reminded me of the performance reviews at work primarily because they are directly correlated to learning and growth. Though we do not primarily study communication performance in these reviews, the act of the performance evaluation is an act of communication between manager and employee that is vital to their relationship. Performance reviews, though somewhat intimidating, provide valuable interaction between the manager and employee where they can have an honest discussion about performance, goals and growth plans. By doing such an evaluation, it sets standards for both manager and employee to be able to live up to and strive for.

    Thanks for sharing, hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I found this post to be very interesting. I also believe you have done a great job. I kind of over looked this concept in the book, but I am glad you posted about it. Reading this, I definitely learned something new. I believe that this method is very effective. In fact, this is kind of how I learn myself. Observing something, and performing it myself gives me a better understanding of how and why is it done in "that way". It can even help me think if there is any other possible way to do it. Great job with the post, I hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete